Román Ortega-Cowan is a Martindale-Hubbell AV-Preeminent with High Ethical Standing (peer rating) and Platinum Client Champion (client rating) attorney, who concentrates his practice on dispute resolution with an emphasis on complex construction, commercial, and trust & estates litigation and arbitration. He leverages his broad experience across federal, state, and international courts and arbitration forums to secure favorable results for his clients. Prior to moving to Vero Beach, he practiced with the Miami office of an AmLaw 100 global law firm.
A member of the Florida Bar since 2003, he is also admitted to practice in the District of Columbia, and before the US Supreme Court, the US Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, and the US District Courts for the Southern, Middle, and Northern Districts of Florida. During law school, he served as Editor-in-Chief of Law Review and interned with United States District Judge, John Antoon II, of the Middle District of Florida.
A graduate of Saint Edward’s School, he grew up in Vero Beach and his family has resided in the region since 1979. He demonstrates his commitment to the community by proudly serving on the Board of Trustees of Saint Edward’s School, on the Board of Directors of Literacy Services of Indian River County, and as General Counsel to Vero Beach Opera.
- Represented European multinational infrastructure conglomerate in an Investor-State dispute with a Latin American nation, involving extensive Spanish-language bilateral investment treaty analysis and simultaneous claims pursued under the rules promulgated by ICSID (World Bank), the local project-site national court jurisdiction, and the local project-site Chamber of Commerce arbitration body.
- Represented concrete shell subcontractor in complex construction defect and breach of contract litigation related to 200-unit condominium development in Coral Gables, Florida, in lawsuit between developer, condominium association, general contractor, and approximately 20 subcontractors.
- Represented high-end luxury homeowners in construction defect, lien, building code violation, and fraudulent transfer litigation against general contractor and related subcontractors.
- Represented health care conglomerate in lawsuit concerning a so-called sovereign citizen’s acts of “paper terrorism”, including a fraudulent lien of $100 million, securing permanent injunctive and related relief.
Honors & Accolades
- AV-Preeminent Rated / High Ethical Standing (Martindale-Hubbell)
- Client Champion / Platinum Level (Martindale-Hubbell)
- Saint Edward’s School, Board of Trustees (2020 – Present)
- Vero Beach Opera, General Counsel (2016 – Present)
- Literacy Services of IRC, Board of Directors (2019 – Present)
- Cuban American Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association